Wednesday, May 16, 2012

RECIPE: Mexican Rice

I am a SERIOUS fan of Mexican food, and given the opportunity I would eat it every single night of my life.  This is one of my absolute FAVORITE recipes. It is SO versatile and I use it as a side dish almost every time we have a Mexican night at home. 

Adapted from Elizabeth Bryant at Simple Fancies
2 T. Olive Oil
1 1/2 c. Long Grain Rice
1 can chicken broth
1/2 c. water
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 pinches of kosher salt

Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Add rice and brown.  Add chicken broth, water, tomato sauce & kosher salt.  Stir to distribute ingredients evenly.  Reduce heat to medium low. Cover.  Cook for 22 minutes.  Remove from heat. "Fluff" the rice, re-cover and let it sit for 5 more minutes. Makes 6 servings


If you want a spicier version, replace the tomato sauce with El Pato sauce.   Next time I make this I am going to substitute a can of green salsa for the tomato sauce and see how that turns out.

I plugged this recipe into Weight Watchers and each serving is 5 points.  To make the recipe healthier I'm sure you could substitute brown rice.  I haven't ever done that, but I'm sure it would taste fine.

Now, let me tell you, when I make this for my family of four, we all have about two large scoops of rice and there is still a TON left over. I always end up taking it for lunch the next day. 

Tonight for dinner we had tacos with baked corn tortillas, Mexican rice and refried beans (I don't fool around with the fat free stuff - the difference in points is minimal, but the difference in taste is HUGE).  It was DELICIOUS!  I am SUPER full and very satisfied!

I have to say, baking corn tortillas is an awesome way to save on points or calories, but still get a ton of flavor.  We spray the tortillas with olive oil on both sides, add a little seasoning (chili powder usually) and then drape them over 2 rails on the rack in our oven.  We bake them at 400 degrees for about 5 - 7 minutes.  Tonight we used Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas - Extra Thin.  They crisped up really well.  But the best part 2 tortillas only have 2 points!  SERIOUSLY!  You can't beat that!

Some other awesome dishes we have made, incorporating this rice dish, include my knock off Cafe Rio salad, my knock off Chipotle fajita bowl, and Mexican pile ups (ever heard of Hawaiian Haystacks - same concept, substituting Mexican food ingredients).

I really think this rice dish has the potential to be changed and manipulated in a million different ways.  

Any suggestions on ingredients or tweaks that can be made to the recipe?




2 comments:

  1. Yum!  That recipe looks so good, and my family would love it!!  I think I would add some chopped green chilis (I am such a fan of green chilis) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Mexican food too and have been trying to figure out ways to make more things from scratch at home versus packaged stuff (which is so much more convenient!). 

    ReplyDelete

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND! DON'T BE SHY! I LOVE COMMENTS!