Tuesday, February 5, 2013

THE. EFFING. BIGGEST. LOSER.

I think I have mentioned that I really despise The Biggest Loser.  The entire premise of the show is disturbing...take a bunch of people who have a "disease" and make them compete for a cure to said disease.  Make them weigh in each week, and regardless of how hard they have worked or how much they have done, cut them and send them home based on the percent of weight they have lost OR have some ridiculous session where you make their other sick teammates decide who they will deny the cure to.

Substitute disease above with cancer, and weight with white blood cells - pretend the players are competing for a chance for world class cancer treatments  but - you know, each week one has to go home and try to fight their disease on their own..seriously, this show is barbaric.

I could respect this show so much more if the people who were selected to go to the ranch were all allowed to stay on the ranch the entire time.  The winner of the big money could still be the individual who loses the largest % of weight, and I tell you, the show would still thrive.  At the end of the day, people are tuning in because they are invested in these people and their journey - so why not show the whole journey.

I am shocked that any professional trainer would participate in something like this.  Again, think about the cancer example and pretend the trainers are doctors.  Those doctors would lose their license!!

So, if I hate it so much, why can't I stop watching it??

I'll tell you why...because just like so many others, I am invested in these people.  I am rooting for them.  I understand their struggle and I understand what they are trying to do and at the end of the day I am willing to tune in to watch them and ignore the absolutely barbaric nature of the show they are participating in.

Yeah, I am watching the current season of Biggest Loser.  And I have decided that I am going to steal an idea from one of my favorite bloggers, Natalie at www.mormoninmanhattan.blogspot.com and live blog my thoughts about each episode.  Natalie live blogs her thoughts about each bachelor episode.  The posts are hilarious, and although I am not a fan of the bachelor, I do like reading her live blog posts about them!  She is a single lady on the dating scene and her perspectives are hilarious because she is also seeking her "bachelor".

I thought that it would be awesome to do the same thing with The Biggest Loser...from the perspective of a gal who is in the same boat as these contestants...so, get ready blogosphere...from now on I will be live blogging my thoughts about each Biggest Loser episode!!!  I KNOW you are as excited as I am!

So, how about you?  What do you think about the Biggest Loser?


2 comments:

  1. Glad to be reading you again Connie:-) I also have negative opinions about the Biggest Loser. My issue is that it is just not realistic for the average person. No one can really work out eight hours a day and have a nutritionist and trainer at their fingertips. Just not realistic in the least! Looking forward to following your progress:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly ever watch the show however I am trying* to watch this seasons Monday nights episodes. I understand what your saying but I find it inspiring. Yes they have a lot of help and a lot of time to work out but it shows that it is possible. I prefer extreme makeover weight loss edition. I like how they reward the participants. I would love to complete my journey and be rewarded with a tummy tuck etc.

    ReplyDelete

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND! DON'T BE SHY! I LOVE COMMENTS!