Saturday, May 4, 2013

05/04/13 - WEIGH IN & THE WEEKEND

Last night I finished my last 5K of the week.  It wasn't as easy as the night before...but that is probably because I went at a faster pace.  I finished in my best time of the week...69 minutes.  A pretty nice improvement from my times during the other races, which ranged from 73 - 77 minutes.

I was really glad to be done with the 5K's.  It was a challenging goal for me and I feel really good that I was able to achieve it.  Thanks for hanging in there with me through my ranting and raving about the walks...AND the pouting each night before I had to do it!

I had mentioned that we were going to shake things up with this last 5K.  We were going to walk it outside as a family, but I am suffering from some pretty nasty allergies right now and there was a bit of wind last night...so ultimately I decided to walk it inside and get caught up on the latest episode of Nashville.  I'm not loving that show right now...I think I may have to part ways.

WEIGH IN

This morning was my weigh in.  I was pretty excited because I had worked hard on the exercise side of things this week, AND had a really good week where my eating was concerned.  Imagine my utter disappointment when I stepped on the scale and saw this:



That, my friends, is a gain of .6 lbs. from last week.  I have no words.  I feel pretty devastated about it.

You know, people make weight loss seem like a simple equation...calories in calories out...but there is no way that is true because my calories in vs. out this week would NEVER lead to a gain.

So what the hell???

I'm frustrated, yes, I'm trying to focus on my other accomplishments this week:

  • I worked out for 5 days...something I have NEVER done.
  • I walked 5 5K's this week!!  I mean, that is awesome!
  • I really did make good choices with my food, even trying out a new recipe that I thought was pretty darn good.

Still, the point of all of this is to see the scale go down...and the fact that it didn't...well, it sucks quite frankly.

Am I going to cry?  Probably...I won't even try to lie about it.  It's a blow.  If I can't lose weight after the week I just had...well, it makes my ultimate goal seem pretty far away.

Yep, I am going to call this my worst weigh in ever.  What a crappy way to start May!

THE WEEKEND

Seeing Iron Man 3...and from what I hear, I should expect to love it!!!

Hiking to Silver Lake in Big Cottonwood Canyon with some friends.  I am not sure what the weather is going to be like up there...but I'm hoping its good! 

Housecleaning...boo!  A necessary evil.

Yard work...boo!  Another necessary evil.

Other than that, hopefully some time to decompress and recharge my batteries for the week ahead!

Have a great one yourself!!


post signature

18 comments:

  1. So so so so sorry, Connie! Ugh! Weight loss is so incredibly hard!!!!! Hate it! Necessary evil though like you say! focus on all you accomplished this week because that is awesome, keep going, and hopefully next week a bunch will come off! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think THIS right here is what makes weight loss so difficult! Our bodies are going to do what they are going to do...and sometimes that means that our best efforts go unrewarded. It can make it feel like a waste of time. I just have to step back and remind myself that all is not lost and eventually, my body will decide to do the right thing!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking losing weight is something that is sane. That if we do x, y, and z we'll lose. The truth is that is not the case. You had a fabulous week and the results WILL show up, but maybe just not this week. The real win for this week is all the hard work you put in...the scale is just something we stand on. Keep with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda, I guarantee that is where I get off track! I think this should be a straight forward scientific process, and the reality is it isn't so straight forward. I'm proud of my week last week, even if I wasn't rewarded with a scale victory...eventually that will come...it always does!

      Delete
  3. You had an amazing week - do not let the scale lie and say you didn't. When I started getting more exercise I actually gaine 2 lbs one week. The following 2 weeks I lost 1.8 and then a whopping 3.4 lbs. Just keep doing what you are doing. You are a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! The scale really can be a liar, can't it! I am really trying to focus on the fact that overall, I have lost a significant amount of weight, I am introducing regular exercise, and I am continuing to stay on track with my eating (except for Saturday - I threw myself a pity party). So, those things are all wins and eventually I will see additional success!

      Delete
  4. Don't be discouraged about the scale. Focus on what you accomplished this week! The weight will come off. I know when I upped my exercise I actually gained a bit too but the next week I just kept doing what I was doing and had a good loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm determined not to let the scale get the better of me. I started my exercise journey last week - and I'm not letting that go. I mean, yes, it will make me sad if I don't see the scale go down. Even though this is about a healthy lifestyle, the reality is that an enormous part of that for me is the weight loss. I mean, 215 lbs. left to go!! UGH!

      Delete
  5. I've heard that sometimes exercise actually leads to an increase in water weight. From my personal experience, if I put in really hard workouts during one week the scale won't change but eventually it does. Don't be discouraged!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping that is all it is. I am going to continue to workout - I won't be doing a 5K every day, but I will be on that treadmill 5 days a week for at least a 1/2 hour! I know that eventually my body will bend to my will!!!

      Delete
  6. Whenever I find myself gain so little one week it leads to big loss like 5 lbs the next. Its defeating I know but you have to hang in there! Because really isnt more about healthy lifestyle than lbs off a scale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I am holding out hope for a big drop - but honestly, I will be happy with the scale just moving in the right direction!! Yes, ultimately, this is about a healthy lifestyle - BUT, for me that goes hand in hand with weight loss. I just have to realize that the scale is not the only way to measure progress. In my head, it reigns supreme, and I need to quit giving it so much power!!

      Delete
  7. Don't be discouraged! You doubled your exercise, right? Your body is holding on to water. It happens to me every time I increase my workouts. I never lost weight in a way that made sense. Nothing for two weeks at a time and then I would drop 3-5 pounds. It all balances out in the end. I learned to focus on what I could control, my food and exercise. If I did that, the scale would come around. You did an amazing thing- a whole five days of 5k's! I never did more than thirty minutes on the treadmill until I hit goal weight.
    Just keep on plugging away, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that the water weight gain thing is real. I mean, I didn't just double my workouts, I went from basically nothing, to 5K a day!!! So, yeah, my body may be in a little bit of shock - she is rebelling against me, I tell you! I guess weight loss just isn't going to make sense sometimes! I hate that, but if I don't accept it, I am going to have a pretty miserable journey!!! And honestly, this doesn't have to be miserable! RIGHT?? This is a great time, a great change!! I need to try to enjoy it more!

      Delete
  8. I always gain with increased workouts too and it really sucks. But I lose inches and my clothes fit better. Eventually I start losing again. Interestingly, when I stop working out, I consistently lose weight without even trying. I think it's really true about gaining muscle. How are your clothes fitting? I'm so impressed with what you're doing! You are making progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, Heather, Heather...are you trying to make me stop working out??? LOL!!! Man, it is frustrating! BUT, I know that it will be worth it. I don't just want to lose weight, I want to lose weight AND become physically healthy and strong!!!

      Delete
  9. Could be water weight. I have read exercise can cause muscles to retain water, and I think it is true. I have had weeks where I weigh in and not lose anything..even gain and then the next weigh in I lose 6 pounds. You know you did good, keep pushing through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope you are right!!! I'm pushing through! I will even be exercising every day this week!!!

      Delete

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND! DON'T BE SHY! I LOVE COMMENTS!